These positions are available on a daily basis. Volunteers walk, play with and socialize the dogs. Volunteers must be familiar with NHHS dog walking protocols and take the appropriate training courses.
These positions are available on a daily basis. Volunteers will assist staff in cleaning the cat cages and social rooms. Shifts are scheduled for mornings. Volunteers must be familiar with NHHS cleaning protocols.
These positions can be scheduled any time of day. Volunteers can spend time socializing, brushing, and playing with the cats. Volunteers must be familiar with NHHS cat socialization program.
This position is for individuals who can welcome an animal into their home on a temporary basis. These animals may be sick, injured, senior or very young or otherwise not able to be at the shelter. An additional foster application must be completed if you are interested in this position.
Volunteers assist in raising money for the shelter. This can include large event planning, developing income generating programs, preparing mailings and/or other projects as determined by the development team.
Needed daily. Volunteers can wash dishes and bowls, sweep/mop the floors, work in the laundry room and other perform general cleaning tasks.
Volunteers welcome visitors to the shelter and direct them to the appropriate location (kennel area, cat areas). Greeters are needed to welcome all of our visitors with a smile and make them feel welcome.
These positions are available on a daily basis. Volunteers will assist staff in cleaning the indoor kennels. Shifts are scheduled for mornings. Volunteers must be familiar with NHHS cleaning protocols.
This position involves both inside and outside work and may include lawn maintenance, snow shoveling, landscaping or building maintenance.
Volunteers are needed to work at off-site events such as craft fair/informational tables, fundraising events, rabies clinics and other shelter events held throughout the year.
How to Get Started
Ready to put your love of animals into action? Simply fill out a Volunteer Application and submit with a $10 donation to the program. Minimum age to volunteer is 16. Applicants aged 16-18 will have limited animal care options for safety and liability reasons.
- Fill out online or download and complete our Volunteer Application and submit along with your $10 application fee via regular mail to NHHS, PO Box 572, Laconia, NH 03247, Attention: Tamara Saxby, Volunteer Manager.
- If your interests, skills and qualifications match our current needs, we’ll contact you for a telephone interview.
- Participate in an orientation and training session specific to your volunteer role. Orientation is by invitation only. Orientations are held at the shelter, every other Thursday and the occasional Saturday.
- Thursday, January 25, 2018 5:30-7:00 pm
- Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:30-7:00 pm
- Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:30-7:00 pm
- Meet your volunteer mentor and sign up for volunteer shifts or specific projects and tasks.